Monday, April 18, 2011

How to Sew a Memory Quilt Using a Silk Tie...

1"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
This post will show you how to prepare a silk tie for quilting.
I always open up my ties instead of working with them as is (closed). 
Usually the ties I get are from people who have passed away and the ties
 themselves hold a great deal of sentimental value.
 I believe that it is best to get the maximum amount of fabric out of each tie, so opening them up yields way more fabric for your project... 
First of all, I always wash the ties I will be working with.
 Wash a silk tie?!?
I just throw them in the washing machine! 
The only thing that gets 'wonky' when you wash in the machine is the
fabric inside which will be removed.
It's better to have the silk clean since you will be getting up close and personal with it. :)
Next I rip the seam that runs up the back of tie, holding it closed. 
It's AMAZING how much fabrics you can get from one tie by opening it up instead of keeping it closed. Seriously, you can get three times the fabric! 
2"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
Then I cut off the triangle end and remove the stabilizing fabric inside which is usually a long strip. 
3"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
Then I press the entire tie flat. 
I use a COTTON setting on my iron WITH steam. 
I know, I know...it sounds crazy because the ties are silk. 
Try it.
You'll see...
4"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
The I cut the tie to the length that I need for my quilt design. 
This quilt will be a strip quilt so I cut the lengths in the desired strip size and prep it to be stabilized.
I use lots of different kinds of fusible interfacing, sometimes thin woven interfacing and sometimes thicker non-woven stabilizer. 
It's your personal preference.
So I lay the ties, cut into desired lengths, front side down and lay the interfacing on the back and iron!
5"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
Then I tidy up the strips and cut off the excess interfacing to make nice, clean strips ready for sewing!
7"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"

6"recycled quilt" "memory quilt with ties" "cool quilt" "memory quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal"
And that's it! 
After your quilt is sewn and top quilted, the strips can be washed and dried just as any other fabric. 
You'll be amazed what you can do with finicky fabric and fusible interfacing!! :)
Here are some pics of the ties in the quilt top, which is still a work in progress...
"recycled quilt" "memory quilt" "cool memory quilt" "recycled shirt quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal" "tie quilt"
"recycled quilt" "memory quilt" "cool memory quilt" "recycled shirt quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal" "tie quilt"
"recycled quilt" "memory quilt" "cool memory quilt" "recycled shirt quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal" "tie quilt"
"recycled quilt" "memory quilt" "cool memory quilt" "recycled shirt quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal" "tie quilt"
"recycled quilt" "memory quilt" "cool memory quilt" "recycled shirt quilt" "mamaka mills" "alix joyal" "tie quilt"
I'll post more pics as soon as I get the top squared, add a border and have it top quilted...
Stay tuned!!