Tuesday, March 29, 2011

F.I.T. Alumni Magazine Feature on Alix Joyal and Military Memory Quilts

Rags to Riches
ALIX DWORKIN JOYAL
Textile Development and Marketing ’08,
Fashion Merchandising Management ’06
I use a variety of vintage and recycled fabrics in my custom quilt business, Mamaka Mills. Most recently I’ve been using clothing and textiles from people who have passed away, to create heirloom-quality quilts for their families to remember them by. I love the challenge of working with textiles that wouldn’t be used in traditional quilting, like wool or silk. I just used fabric from an umbrella, which I ironed to a nonwoven interfacing, like what you’d find in a shirt collar, so the nylon wouldn’t rip and run. Next year, my husband deploys to Afghanistan with the New Hampshire National Guard. I wanted something to comfort me while he’s away, so I made a contemporary quilt out of his old uniforms, fatigues, and patches. Soon I’m going to teach a class through the Guard’s Family Readiness Program, so other military spouses can make their own quilts. Old clothing has so much history and sentimental value. This is a way to keep those memories in our daily lives.
Alix Joyal operates Mamaka Mills (mamakamills.com) from her studio in Hooksett, NH.
 

alix joyal, the fashion institute of technology, fit alumni, fit nyc, mamaka mills, recycled custom quilt, military memory quilt